The Irish Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme
The”Good Citizen Dog Scheme" is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. GCDS stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good mannered dogs. All dogs who pass the GCDS test will receive a certificate from The Irish Kennel Club.
If you would like to prepare your dog for the GCDS test, our basic obedience classes cover the necessary skills and once you have completed the course you can register for the next test day.
The "Test" covers the following..................
1. (a) Ensue that collar is correctly fitted.
(b) Presence of identity disc. Tattoo or Microchip
(c) Pooper Scooper available.
2. Walk on lead in the presence of distractions (Jogger running past, noise i.e. Clapping of hands at a suitable distance, 3 metres, etc.) in a controlled manner. Dogs can walk on either left or right
3. Behave in a controlled manner, on a loose lead whilst walking past a person with a dog on a lead.
4. Behave in a controlled manner, on a loose lead whilst handler holds a short conversation with a person who has a dog on a lead. Dog to be in sit or down position during conversation. Duration 1 minute.
5. Lie down and stay on command. Handler leaves dog and walks a distance of 3 metres, turns and faces dog. Returns on command. Extra commands may be given. Dogs to be tested individually.
6. Groom (This will be done by handler).
7. Present for examination on lead, to include teeth, eyes, ears and feet.- This will be done by the handler and the examiner will observe.
8. Recall or Stop on command. Dog to be released from lead, when the dog is a short distance away the examiner will instruct the handler to control the dog by either recalling or stopping the dog on command ( recall or stop is at the discretion of the handler). In a recall the dog should rejoin the handler and take the sit or down position, and have the lead re-attached. In the stop on command the dog should take up a stand, sit or down position until the handler joins the dog and re-attaches the lead. A toy may be used to gain distance from the handler.
Food and/or toys must not be carried during the tests, with the exception of test No. 8 where a toy may be used
The dog must pass all exercises in order to receive a certificate.
Class Application forms